跳至主要内容

Chapter 4: The Factory That Changed Everything | A Flower Adrift in the Wind

But migrant workers from the countryside were not entitled to social security.

They were like migratory birds.

They came to the cities, worked for them, built them, cleaned them, carried them, and kept them running.

Yet the cities offered them little in return.

Behind every migrant worker stood countless more bodies—bent backs, worn hands, people crouching, crawling, laboring from dawn until midnight.

They were breathing.

But there was little life left in them.

In this cruel society, even death seemed to be divided according to where you came from and what you had.

City or countryside.

Rich or poor.

Doctorate or illiterate.

For migrant workers, life was never secure.

Mother and I both understood what it meant for a rural girl to give up university.

If she was lucky, she might marry a decent man, have children, and spend the rest of her life working to keep the family going.

If she was unlucky, she might marry a man with a violent temper who cared nothing for his family.

Then she could be condemned to a lifetime of misery.

But Father was dead.

The pillar holding up our family had fallen.

Mother was in poor health.

Hai'ou was still a child.

As the eldest daughter, I knew what I had to do.

My responsibility was no longer to go to university.

It was to keep my family together.

Even if I managed to get a student loan, what would Mother and Hai'ou live on after I left?

And Hai'ou still had to go to school.

Unless a fortune suddenly fell from the sky, there was simply no way.

But I knew miracles did not happen to people like me.

That afternoon, I took Hai'ou to Father's grave.

Without hesitation, I burned my university admission letter.

As the paper curled into black ash, tears streamed down my face.

“Dad,” I whispered, “don't worry. I'll take care of Mom. And I'll make sure Hai'ou gets the best education I can give him.”

Suddenly Hai'ou said:

“When I grow up, I'm going to kill that bastard Qi Huaiyi!”

Those were exactly the words I had been carrying inside me.

I took my little brother's hand and squeezed it tightly.

“Rest in peace, Dad. I will find Qi Huaiyi. I will make him pay for what he did.”

Time passed quickly.

Before we knew it, Hai'ou's new school term had begun.

The little more than five hundred yuan we had left disappeared almost immediately after his tuition and other expenses were paid.

Given our situation, I should have stayed home to take care of Mother and Hai'ou.

But there was almost nothing left for me to do there.

Even the farm work had largely disappeared.

Three years earlier, each person in our village had been left with only a tiny plot of farmland—about two-tenths of a mu per person.

Most of the land distributed to farmers years before, when the household responsibility system had been introduced, had eventually been taken back by the local government.

Some of it was sold to villagers at high prices for building houses.

The rest was leased at extremely low rates

评论

此博客中的热门博文

CHAPTER 1 Leaving Home for an Uncertain Future

I Am a Flower Adrift in the Wind: The Survival Story of a Migrant Girl in Dongguan If every boy who leaves his homeland is a blade of grass without roots, then every girl who finds herself far from home is a flower adrift in the wind. For all kinds of reasons, people have long held prejudices against migrant workers, especially young women who leave their villages to work elsewhere. They look at our lives with curiosity, suspicion, or outright contempt, imagining all sorts of stories about us. What I am writing here is my own account—the most complete and honest portrait I can offer of the lives of migrant workers. —Author’s Note I often came across newspaper and television reports about the lives of migrant workers, and for reasons I never quite understood, the media seemed particularly interested in migrant women. According to many of these reports, a migrant girl was either vain and eager for money, eventually becoming a prostitute or a mistress, or else she was trapped in condition...

Chapter 12: Running from a Midnight Police Raid | A Flower Adrift in the Wind

Just when we had begun to think that the temporary-residence-permit inspections were not as frightening as people had made them sound, something happened in the middle of the night. We were sleeping soundly when suddenly we heard loud banging and kicking on doors nearby, accompanied by shouted orders and chaotic screams. When I opened my eyes, I could see several beams of glaring flashlight light shining through the cracks of our door, flickering on and off. The first to cry out was A Ling. “They’re checking temporary-residence permits!” The moment I heard that, it felt as though someone had poured a bucket of ice water over me. I went cold from head to toe. Amid the increasingly frantic noise outside, I tremblingly put on my clothes, then scrambled out from under the mosquito net of the upper bunk and climbed onto Lijuan’s bed. By then Lijuan was awake too. She asked in panic, “What do we do? What are we going to do?” I was almost crying. “I don’t know either.” The two of us clung to ...

Chapter 2: The Journey to a Strange New World | A Flower Adrift in the Wind

 The thing my parents complained about most was how everything seemed to be getting more expensive. “Everything’s gone up again!” Even fertilizer kept rising in price. If they bought fertilizer, the harvest barely covered the cost. If they didn't, there wouldn't be enough grain to harvest in the first place. Fortunately, the people who remained in the Old Village still had the skill of weaving reed mats. Whenever the farming season slowed down, they would do what they had always done: put on a straw hat, take a short knife, and walk down to the stream to cut reeds. They would carry the reeds home and put them through a long series of complicated steps before weaving them into mats. Every so often, middlemen would come around to buy the mats in bulk and transport them to the city to sell. Even with all that work, however, my parents often couldn't afford the ever-increasing school fees for my younger brother and me. They spent more and more time weaving reed mats. For a whil...